When work finished, and I set an end time, partly for the benefit of the person I was meeting with. I headed back to the house. I had a fully working kitchen, handed over by the builder. I took some measurements of things that needed to be bought and headed out to B&Q.
I bought skirting board and architrave and also hit on the idea of buying some tiles to tile the splashback in the kitchen. I had to go on my guesstimate of the surface area I'd be tiling and I've no idea how wrong I got it. I will be finding out at some point.
Returning to the house, I then set about putting on the skirting board in the places where the builder hadn't. I had previously bought some edging to act a little like an architrave where my kitchen door frame met the wall rather awkwardly. I did the necessary cutting and fixing of this. With some use of my circular/mitre saw, and with only a few glitches, I soon had 5 sections of skirting board attached with two reasonable mitre joins in place. Once a little filler and a lot of paint has been applied it will look totally bonza!
I also did some skirting around the pipe boxing I did upstairs, This is going to require too much filler to make the joins between the new skirting board and the existing skirting board, but it will also look mint when it's done, so good times!
Then I set about the tiling. It soon became apparent that I'd not bought enough edging, nor had I any idea how to make all the edging look good with the various complicated edges that would occur with my tiling scheme. I glued the edging to the wall where I saw fit - largely to provide the line to tile against. This took a long time. I started to do some tiling. This proved to take a long time too. I think the results will be worth it, but it's going to be a pig of a job.
After I'd done enough tiling for my own liking, I did some washing up. Of plates and everything. I'd not used them myself, but still, it's real washing up. It's the first proper washing up I've done in the house and the first of any washing up I've done since April.
I got to bed safe in the knowledge that I'd not yet destroyed my kitchen, but that it's not ready to call finished by a long way.